Red Dead Online will no longer receive “major themed content updates,” in part because Rockstar Games is drawing resources toward the next Grand Theft Auto title, the studio said Thursday. Fans have wondered if Red Dead Online has left, and while the game isn’t shutting down, Rockstar won’t be making as much content for it in the future.
“Over the past few years, we have steadily moved more development resources to the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series – we understand more than ever the need to exceed player expectations and make this next entry the best it can be. — and as a result, we’re in the process of making some changes to the way we support Red Dead Online,” Rockstar wrote in a blog post.
As for the future of Red Dead Online, “In addition to seasonal special events and experience improvements – plus other changes to improve and maintain a healthy Red Dead Online environment – we plan to build on existing modes and this year adding new Telegram missions, rather than delivering major themed content updates like in previous years, and we will continue to highlight and share the creative efforts of our Red Dead community at every opportunity through the Newswire and beyond,” Rockstar said. .
Prior to Rockstar’s announcement on Thursday, there had been a Red Dead franchise fan account plan a funeral for Red Dead Online for July 13, the one year anniversary of the game’s most recent major content update. The funeral is still scheduled for next week†
Who cares then? A funeral to celebrate Red Dead Online’s abandonment of a year?
Dress up in your best funeral attire, invite your friends to join us, tag us in photos and use the hashtags below!
— Red officially dead (@RedDeadRDC) July 5, 2022
Rockstar finally confirmed in February that it is working on the next installment in the Grand Theft Auto series. The studio also continues to add content to GTA Online and detailed some of the updates in the works in its Thursday blog post.